Google Chrome OS - Demo video from today's webcast + my "live" tweets
Here's the demo of the Google Chrome OS that was shown today during Google's webcast- Open Source project announcement
My tweets from today's webcast re Google Chrome OS: - live meeting / briefing - as of today code will be fully OPEN SOURCE
- launched 14 months ago - Goal modern browser to handle RIA (Rich Internet Applications)
- over 40 million users (currently)
- Browser core focus: Speed, Simplicity and Security.
- over 20 updates (seemless transparent process). Pushing HTML 5
- 3 more items 2009: Chrome for Mac and Linux will be ready; Extensions - making easier to write
- HMTL 5: Games, graphics, video, theads, notifications, real time communications and local storage
- 100s of millions of users are living in the browser / cloud. Trend is clear, everything in future will be in web tier.
- watching cold reboot - only 7 seconds! 3 seconds to log into apps
- will have "Application Tabs" - permanent sticky tabs - always ON mode
- will introduce "Panels" - application feature set - very nice
- "All View Mode" - simple UI - see all open tabs in 1 view
- does not have a proprietary app framework - any web will work in Chrome OS. MS launched "killer" Chrome app :) LOL
- Matt Papkipos, Engineering Director - Runs Chrome OS Engineering team. Code open + design documents
- Boot sequence: Firmware / BIOS (Solid State storage) > Standard Kernel > Services > Start Apps > Browser (simplified boot!)
- cryptographic signature keys to ensure chrome loads up securely / device recognition
- cryptographic signature keys guard against Malware on boot - reimages / self-healing OS
- saves cached data - no data loss on failure - wow....nice!
- Security model for the "internet age" - The OS does NOT trust any app; all apps are web apps - better security profile
- "Security Sandboxing" - new technique to secure web apps (Chroot, Namespaces, toolchain, stack protection) FileSys locked
- File System - locked; ReadOnly root partition; user data encryption; user data synced to the cloud - fabulous design
- Data Safety is a core value of Google - THANK YOU ... I hate bad guys too
- User data is cached - only as an accelerator function, not stored locally - in cloud; if device stolen, data secure!
- supports only solid state hard drives HDD; limited wifi components; key aspects of OS device design
- you will have to BUY an OS device - at Christmas 2010
- RT @sarahintampa: Whaaaa? You cannot download and install Chrome on any machine. You will have to buy a new netbook. << Same reaction I had
- calling all Devs - grab a netbook and your screwdriver and you can get a Chrome OS instance running LOL
- YouTube demo video - is this produced by @CommonCraft? really good
- Application Store? Working hard at helping people 'discover' apps.
- Device Goal = "to be a delightful experience for you on the web" [think Netbook, not full blown laptop]
- Yes, everything that works on Chrome will work in the OS, includes codex. Hardware acceleration - working on this
- Demo video from today’s webcast | Susan Beebe's Blog http://bit.ly/12fQ0N
Also, Google Chrome OS will be fully dependent on an internet connection. So your Chrome OS device (think netbook) will be a useless brick without internet access! No Wi-Fi = no fun!
Be sure to see these blogs that also captured today's Google Chrome OS webcast. These guys really did a great job of covering today's Google announcements.
Of course, do read Google's Official Blog announcement - Releasing the Chromium OS open source project